Friday, November 9, 2007

Delivery

The veterinary-approved obesity formula cat food just arrived at my door. It was delivered by the company I purchased it from, and carried up the three flights to my apartment.

Delivery seems much more common in Poland than it does in Canada. Aside from the cat food, I have my drinking water delivered, and apparently doctors and vets make house calls.

The service industry in Poland is a contradictory hybrid. Waiters and waitresses although usually quite friendly aren't quite up to the service standards of many western countries, and don't get me started about the customer service ethic of many of the bureaucratic organizations. I have multiple horror stories about attempting to get a parking permit from Pani Ewa at the Motor Vehicles office.

But in other industries, the Poles are far more service-oriented. Apart from the home delivery services, many retail industry clerks actually serve you. For example, in small fruit and vegetable kiosks, you ask the clerk for what you want, and they get it for you. Same thing in drug stores (aptekas). It makes it a bit harder for a non-Polish speaker, since I can't just go up and grab the band-aids off the shelf, but it does make me practice speaking Polish.

I like it, particularly not having to drag 8 kg bags of cat food up all those stairs.

No comments: