Thursday, September 18, 2008

Geek fit

Although I've never been a big gamer, I've been coveting the Wii since I first played with it last Christmas. And my desire for it grew even stronger when I heard about Wii Fit.

My friend S raved about Wii Fit so much when she visited me in June that we went looking for the Wii when she was here. We didn't find it that day, and I sort of forgot about it until my brother and his family showed up in August. My mother had just bought it for the girls and they told me all about it.

We just happened upon it one day while we were all out shopping, and after that I couldn't get it out of my head. I ended up buying the Wii the next day, and my brother bought me the Wii Fit as an early Christmas present.

It just might be the 2nd best Christmas present I've ever received (I don't think anything will ever top the great guinea pig event of Christmas 1980). I've used Wii Fit everyday since I got it. 19 days - I know exactly how many because it tells me when I first turn it on, along with other facts I am not so keen to know, like my weight, my BMI, my Wii Fit age, and my center of gravity.

But once I get past those not so happy thoughts, I am all over the exercises. Who knew virtual hula hooping was actually a workout? And who would have thought it was fun? Today I hit 405 spins (right direction) in 90 seconds. Top that!

Somehow, getting scored on push ups and other strength and yoga exercises makes me want to do them more. And having my total workout time shown to me after each exercise makes me think, "just two more minutes". Which often ends up turning into another 30.

I'm addicted. And if I keep it up, I just might meet my ideal weight goal, which Wii Fit set for me. It tells me I've got 74 more days to make it.

3 comments:

Sandy Kemsley said...

I'm with you on this, I love the Wii Fit. Super Hula Hoops and the advanced level of Rhythm Boxing give a real workout! Also enjoying the yoga.

hex said...

Sandy, I am glad to hear you are a fellow addict. I love the Rhythm Boxing! Sometimes I realize how seriously I am taking the punching and have to stop and laugh at myself.

I have to confess that today is the first day I haven't turned it on.

I am glad that I can still choose dinner and cocktails on a Friday night over Wii Fit.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're able to use it, when we first got it we used it everyday, but then the kids saw it and everytime we turned it on Eric wanted to either "run" or do yoga, needless to say it's been on its box for the past couple of months. :(

Laura