Saturday, November 8, 2008

Budapest Redux

I'm currently in Budapest for a long weekend with some fellow expats from Krakow.

Budapest is just as lovely in the fall as it was this summer, although blissfully much cooler. Since this time I am staying on the Pest side directly across from the castle, I decided to splurge on my room (worldwide economic crisis be damned!) and upgraded it for one with a Danube view. I think it was well worth the extra bucks to gaze out onto the Chain Bridge and castle hill,which are both wonderfully lit at night. It's one of the lovieliest city views I've ever seen.

We spent most of today on the castle hill. The castle, which is so breathtaking from the outside, was renovated by the communists in their preferred social realist style, which means the interior doesn't live up to the beautiful exterior. Luckily, the castle contains the national art gallery, so at least its plain walls are covered with art.

It's raining right now, and my companions are settling in for the night, but I needed to walk off my dinner, so I just snuck over to the Four Seasons hotel for a quick peak. The hotel was built as a corporate and retail building in the first decade of the 20th century and is an Art Deco (or is it Art Noveau? I always confuse the two) masterpiece. I'm definitely planning to go back for a meal, or at least a drink, and while I was admiring the architecture I also picked up a brochure about their spa . . .

Tomorrow I hope to get inside the parliament buildings, which were closed the last time I was here, then wander around the Pest side of the city and maybe take in a concert at the State Opera house, or see some Tango at the National Dance Theatre.

Monday, we hope to visit one of Bupapest's famous baths (last time I stayed at one of the most famous in Budapest, the Gellert,) and maybe, just maybe, do a little shopping.

No comments: