Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pumpkin Pie

To celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving I decided to give in to my craving for pumpkin pie and attempt to make one. I'm not much of a pie maker - I can't remember the last time I actually made one and I'm not sure I've ever made a crust from scratch, although I do own a rolling pin in Canada and recall using it, so maybe I have.

I had the same idea sometime last September and ended up ordering canned pumpkin from a Canadian food company. But, since it didn't arrive in Poland until January, there was no pumpkin pie last year.

In preparation I emailed my mom asking for her recipe, and my dad scanned a page of instructions on how to make pie crust from Mom's ancient cookbook. I can't cheat and purchase a frozen pie crust as the Poles don't eat pie.

Mom reminded me that I'd need a rolling pin and that made me realize I didn't bring a pie plate with me either. So, I headed out to the mall late this afternoon to see what I could purchase.

I found a rolling pin at my first stop, but nothing that resembled a pie plate. Cheesecake pans, flan pans, pans of assorted shapes and sizes, but nothing that seemed just right for a pie.

Two stops later found me in the grocery store looking for condensed milk (check), and then searching the kitchen aisle for a pan. I finally decided on a medium-sized pan for tarts and flans. Not quite the right depth or shape of a traditional pie pan, but I am sure it will do.

I'll find out tomorrow when I attempt to make the pie. If it's anything like my other baking adventures in Poland, the pie will be slightly unusual by Canadian standards.

I'll keep you posted. In the meantime enjoy your own pumpkin pies and all the rest of the Thanksgiving edibles.

No comments: