Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tongue biter, teeth grinder

While I was in Toronto last week, I saw my Canadian dentist. Since the face swelling, lockjaw incident in June my teeth have felt out of place, which if you've never experienced it, is really, really irritating.

My dentist did a complete exam, during which he said things like, "evidence of tongue biting" and "cheek chewed on right side."

He showed me said evidence. I thought my tongue was just naturally grooved like that on the sides.

Apparently teeth grinding, which is related to tongue biting and cheek grinding, is very common in women between 30 and 50. The diagnosis is that I do all three when I am sleeping and that I somehow I strained my jaw muscle which caused my face to swell.

He's making me a mouth guard to wear at night on my next trip home.

No comments: