Monday, April 6, 2009

Warsaw

I finally downloaded my pictures from my trip to Warsaw a few weeks ago. Poor Warsaw has a reputation for being grey, and unfortunately the weather was the weekend I was there. I only saw the sun for a few hours in 3 days.

However, the grey skies and the chilly weather didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the Polish capitol. The architecture is extremely diverse - from the old town, which was totally destroyed in WW2 and then rebuilt in the 50s based on 17th century paintings, to the social realist/brutalist style, to modern skyscrapers. The art and design magazine Wallpaper was so impressed with Warsaw that it dedicated an entire travel guide to the city.

Here's a pic of the iconic, yet locally hated, Palace of Science and Culture.



The Palace is a pretty impressive building and can be seen for miles. However, Stalin built it as a gift for the people of Poland, which doesn't make it popular with the locals.

More pics to follow in upcoming posts.

No comments: