Sunday, March 18, 2007

How do you say Canoe in Polish?

When I was cleaning out stuff a few weeks ago, I found a gift certificate for Canoe that I won years ago. So I gathered up two of my favourite foodies (one who I think was promised a free dinner when I actually won the gift certificate) and we went out for a big dinner Thursday night.

Shannon, who's not shy about asking questions of the wait staff (and we love her for it), somehow worked the fact that I was moving to Krakow into the conversation. About halfway through our first course the waiter showed up with a menu of Polish vegetarian specialities, created especially for me by the manager, who just happened to hail from Krakow.

At the end of the night, the manager, Piotr, came over and chatted with the three of us, and promised to take me out and show me the sights when he's in Krakow in May.

Seems like everywhere I go these days I find a Polish connection. As Donna says, we need more connections like the manager of Canoe!

1 comment:

Shannon Reynolds said...

I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner with you and Donna. What could be more Canadian than fine dining in a canoe?
I wonder whether my dinnertime tactics will be as effective on waiters in Poland. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
I love your profile picture. Quelle surprise!