Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The kindness of strangers

Today's been another rollercoaster day (see today's earlier post), but a random call just made me smile.

I am not often home when telemarketers call, and if I am, I can usually avoid them by not picking up calls from numbers I don't recognize.

However, sometimes I see numbers that I think are from my friends' cell phones (even though if I think about it, those usually display their names), and I pick up a call and get a telemarketer.

The telemarketer for the Globe and Mail just called offering me a special edition of the Sunday New York Times, which I would be interested in if I was staying in the country, and I told her so. She asked me where I was going, and when I told her, she seemed genuinely excited for me, and starting asking me more questions (which city was I going to, was I going for school, do I speak the language), and then she wished me a great trip, and good luck repeatedly.

It made me smile.

And it reminded me I have to cancel my subscription . . .

No comments: