Monday, August 6, 2007

Roundabouts

Roundabouts, known as rondos in Polish, are everywhere in Poland. Today I encountered a large one in a big box parking lot!

Roundabouts, known as traffic circles in my home town, don't phase me, largely because I learned how to drive in one of the few (if not only) Canadian cities where roundabouts were part of the city roadways.

Every time I drive in Europe I am thankful that some unknown Edmonton city planner decided to include traffic circles on main city thoroughfares. Although driving the wrong way around roundabouts in Britain was a little unnerving (particularly with 8 lanes of traffic!)

Sadly, some other unknown city planner decide to remove all of the traffic circles from the Edmonton streets sometime after I left the city in early 90s. Thousands of Canadians will never encounter a roundabout on Canadian soil now.

No comments: