Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Polish wedding

One of my colleagues at work just invited me (and many other people we work with) to her wedding ceremony next Saturday. I'm excited!

As I've been touring around the past few months, I've run into several weddings (accidentally crashing a few ceremonies as I wandered into churches on Saturday afternoons).

Polish receiving lines appear to take place right after the church ceremony, in the church yard. Many people bring flowers for the bride, and the maid of honour ends up buried in bouquets, as the bride hands them off to the maid immediately after being given them. We also saw people give huge gift boxes, including children's toys, at one receiving line.

I am also looking forward to attending a wedding ceremony in which I won't understand a word.

3 comments:

Lor said...

Rest assured that the tradition of giving flowers to the bride at the wedding continues here in Canada. All the flowers show up at the reception and are laid around the head table.

And, even if the wedding is half-Polish, and you don't want a freaking receiving line at the church (or anywhere, really), it happens anyway.

hex said...

You know, I have never seen that happen at a Canadian wedding. How odd!

hex said...

I do remember the receiving line at the church at your wedding (I should have brought flowers) - but then yours was half polish :)