Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Birth announcement

My friend V left me a message last night, telling me that she had given birth to her second child, a boy, and that all was well. Then she added a bit of a teaser, saying that she had a story to tell and I should call her.

Which I did immediately.

I got the scoop, but since it's her story, I'll let her describe it. This is from the email birth announcement I received tonight:

Woman gives birth to baby in car, (Oh wait, that was us)

On February 17, 2008, at 10:53 pm, V gave birth to a baby boy, 6 lbs 13 oz. Mom and baby are happy and healthy; dad is still recovering from the shock of watching V deliver the baby herself, in the front seat of their Toyota Corolla not 2 minutes away from the hospital. This scenario was a slight deviation from the detailed birth plan, however it makes a great Hallmark Hall of Fame movie of the week.

Yes, it's true. Could I make something like this up? I received a much more detailed version, (actually two versions, as both V and her husband told me the story, which differed somewhat but were consistent in the main facts), and had people laughing so hard they were in tears today when I recounted it at work.

Or perhaps they were just stunned. One of my friends here, an expectant father, flat out did not believe me when I told him my friend delivered her baby herself in a moving car (yes, her husband did not even pull over)! He asked me if it was an early April Fool's Day joke.

V, I always knew you were independent and strong willed, but I never imagined you'd take it this far . . .

Congratulations! I can hardly wait to meet the new addition. A trip to Poland with a new born should be a piece of cake for you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! More posts!

Unknown said...

awesome! i heard about this on the news!

Unknown said...

BAH it's jenn. WHY does it always call me hadassah. sigh.

H said...

Wow. That's crazy and wonderful.

hex said...

H, this happened in your town. Jenn, not the town you currently live in. I wonder if it was the same birth you heard on the news . . .

Shannon Reynolds said...

Congratulations V! Although I only know you through Hex's stories, I've been hearing about you for so many years, I feel I really do know you a little. Well done.