Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Kindred Spirits

My third day in Krakow, I noticed this display in bookshop window. At the time I just smiled to myself, pleased that one of my favourite Canadian childhood books was available here in Poland.

It wasn't until this past Saturday that I realized how much of an impact Lucy Maud Montgomery's books have had on Polish culture.

When discussing Polish names with some friends, I mentioned that Anna seemed to be an extremely popular Polish name, particularly among women about 25 years old. I was stunned when my friend said it was a result of "those stories about Anne of Green Gables."

Apparently the Anne books were translated into Polish 25 or 30 years ago and were a big hit, resulting in many little Annas. No Anne with an E here.

2 comments:

Bob Dylan said...

Very interesting post. I love checking out foreign book shops and finding old favorites.

Unknown said...

Yay! More posts!