Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Girls who wear glasses

Several years ago (at least 6, maybe 7), I started getting bad headaches while working. It probably had more to do with stress than my eyesight, but when I went to see the optometrist she gave me a prescription for glasses. She said I had 20/20 vision but had a slight astigmatism, and that the glasses might help my headaches. I wore them faithfully for quite a while, partially because they helped, but also because I thought they looked cool.

After a few years the novelty wore off, and I didn't wear them as much. I still kept them at my desk and would put them on if I was staring at the screen for hours on end.

I haven't worn them much in the last year or so, and not once in Krakow. Earlier this week my eyes were getting tired, and the headaches started again, so I decided I should resurrect the glasses.

What a reaction! As soon as I put them on, people started commenting. My favourite remark was "Wow you look so much smarter!" which was immediately followed by much back pedaling, and then qualified by saying that I have a very smiley face and that I look much more authoritative with the glasses.

So maybe I'll start wearing them to important meetings.

2 comments:

kari said...

Sigh. I haven't read your blog in so long. Glad you're still out there.

Re: glasses. I started wearing mine 6 or so days a week after an opthalmologist tut-tutted at the state of my contacts. Now, I've noticed that whenever I wear my contacts instead of my glasses, my hubby tells me my hair looks nice.

Unknown said...

Hilarious.

Also, Yay! More Posts!