Monday, March 3, 2008

I'll never learn . . .

It's 11:30 pm and I am frantically going through all of my emails for 2007 looking for online tax receipts for charitable donations. I started this useful activity after spending a good hour digging through my (so-called) filing cupboard (a place where I throw any piece of paper I might need in the future)for a copy of last year's tax return, which I swore I brought to Poland with me.

My normal tax filing process involves me digging through my filing cabinet and spreading out all unfiled contents (which really means all contents) on the floor, sorting them, and then putting a tax file together, and calling my dad with the information (hey, he was a tax partner for years and years . . .).

I thought it would be easier this year, as I emptied my filing cabinet in Canada in March or April, and put a tax file together then. Of course, it would have been easier if I kept that file up to date, or actually brought it to Poland with me.

Dad's already received a desperate phone call on his cellphone tonight. Thankfully, I believe he's a little more organized than his daughter (or at least he keeps up the appearance of it). I know he's shaking his head and cringing as he reads this.

On the bright side, I filed my Polish return (or at least gave the information to the accountants) last week.

This year my tax filing deadline for Canada is the end of this week. Something about being an expat and filing tax returns in two countries. Lucky me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh. Tax time.

Yay! More posts!