Monday, March 24, 2008

Eggs

As you may have realized from the number of posts lately on Easter related themes, Easter is a big deal in Poland. Over the past week Krakow has celebrated the Holy Week with several processions, festivals, and markets. I've been fortunate enough to participate in many of the events.

I bought into Easter in a big way this year, and when I say bought, I mean it literally. Beautiful Easter-themed decorations, predominantly eggs, were available for sale all over the city. On Palm Sunday alone I purchased three different varieties of Easter eggs to decorate my flat.

We saw someone painting these beautiful pisanki and I had to have the purple one (and the brown one and a white one).


And I couldn't resist this twig egg.

Of course every Polish residence needs some typical painted wooden eggs. These were all over the Easter market in the Rynek.

Finally, no Easter anywhere would be complete without chocolate Easter eggs. I purchased hundreds of eggs last week and then with the help of a few co-conspirators hid them around my office Friday morning. Most of the Poles had never participated in an Easter Egg hunt before, and I got a thrill out of watching them search the office for eggs. Some of the guys grabbed their caps, filling them with eggs, while others picked up their waste-paper baskets and headed off in pursuit.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

are you celebrating dyngus day?
i learned all about it on kiss 98.5.
http://www.dyngusdaybuffalo.com/

hex said...

I had hoped to witness some dyngus activities today (but not participate in them), but it was snowing and cold most of the day here, and I didn't see anyone soaking anyone else with water.

Unknown said...

dyngus is a funny word.

Yay! More Posts!

Charlie said...

Yay Eggs! After Halloween, Easter is my favorite. Catholic-heavy European countries do it up nice...I was in Berlin one Easter, and amazed by the gorgesity. Flowers, decorations, colourful eggs. Including a t.v. variety show centred around a man dressed up as an egg and featuring couples cooking egg dishes in a packed stadium...no, honest.