Friday, March 14, 2008

Whew

By the time I got to the dentist's office today at 4 pm, I was willing to undergo any kind of torture to make the pain stop. I even fantasized about having my tooth pulled.

Luckily it didn't come to that. Once the dentist started drilling into the old filling, it almost fell out of my tooth, and she told me that all of my pain had been caused by a loose filling. Apparently the shape of this particular tooth makes it difficult to fill, and at some point the filling had slipped and leaked into my tooth, causing the pain.

Apparently this meant that I didn't have to have a root canal - yippee! Instead the dentist just removed the old filling and then replaced it. Twice actually, as she encountered the same problems with the shape of the tooth as the Canadian dentist, and had to remove the new filling and redo it.

90 minutes in the chair with your mouth screwed open is a long time. And it seems even longer when the freezing wears off before the filling (the second time round) is completed. After that experience and the excruciating pain of the last few days, I'm exhausted.

But I'm looking forward to feeling normal again tomorrow.

3 comments:

S and N said...

Congratulations for enduring the lesser evil. It's always amazing how much discomfort can come from such a small area. I'm sharing your earlier tax document gathering woes today--it's only marginally better than a trip to the dentist.

hex said...

After the last few days of tooth ache, I am actually looking forward to visiting the dentist if it means the pain will subside if only for a few hours . . .

Unknown said...

Pain relief! Yay!