Sunday, May 25, 2008

Polish roadtrip

My old friend EO is visiting me from the US this week and we are in the midst of a short roadtrip. We arrived in Sandomierz yesterday afternoon and spent the remainder of the day wandering around the pleasant little hill town overlooking the Wisla river.

This morning we visited a fabulous castle ruin in Ujazd. The castle, which was built by a rich eccentric Pole in the early 1600s, contains 52 rooms (one for each week of the year), as well as 365 windows, and a special 366th window that was only unveiled on leap years. The guidebooks described Ujazd as deserted and off the beaten track, stating that you might be lucky enough to be the only visitor.

Not so for us. Somehow we managed to visit Ujazd on the one weekend of the year that the castles hosts a medieval fair, complete with reenactments of battles and medieval life. Although I am not much for reenactments, I was impressed by the mounted soldiers dressed as Hussars, completed with feathered wings. I'll post pics when I'm home.

Tomorrow we'll make our way back to Krakow, via the painted village of Zalipie. Apparently the women of the village repaint everything the weekend after Corpus Christi, which was last Thursdaz, so everything should be freshly painted by the time we get there.

More details when I get home.

No comments: