Sunday, January 4, 2009

Choinka

Although the Poles keep their Christmas trees (choinka) up until the end of January, I'm going to start the process of dismantling mine today. The branches started to droop a few days ago, so much so that the lower ones are now resting on the floor. The tree is looking a bit sad.

However, it was a glorious tree in it's earlier days. At over 10 feet tall it just fit into the corner of my apartment. I've never had a tree this big, and am probably unlikely to have one this tall again. You can get an idea of the height of it from this pic, with my dad on the stairs in the background for perspective.



Decorating such a tall tree was a bit of challenge. I stood on chairs, a ladder, and the windowsill, before Dad suggested moving the tree over to the stairs to decorate the top. Then I ended up buying an angel for the tree the day after I finished decorating the rest of it, so we had to use Dad's trick again to get her on top.

I went on a bit of an ornament buying binge in December (but what else does one go to Christmas markets for?) Here are a few of my favourites:



I bought this fairy in the Christmas market in Dusseldorf. Somehow I thought she was unique, so I was a bit irritated when I saw her featured on a website for a home decor shop here in Krakow. Oh well, I still love her.

My mom bought these two, as well as a few hot pink sparkly ones, at the local food (and everything else) market. I thought she was crazy at first, but the striped ones looked fantastic on the tree, and even the hot pink sparkly ones grew on me.










These straw ornaments seem to be quite typically Polish, as we saw them on trees all over Krakow.
















Even after Christmas, I couldn't stop buying ornaments. I found these two last Sunday in a small town about 20 km from Krakow. They were in a flower store, which was the only store in town open that day.











These two are pottery, and are made in the southwestern corner of Poland. This pottery is extremely popular in Krakow, and I hope to purchase some dishes in one of the patterns to bring home with me.











Here's one final look at the dressed tree:



Now I just have to figure out how to get it down the three flights of stairs.

No comments: