Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tree update

One final note about my Christmas tree . . .

After asking several Poles what to do with my tree, and receiving answers like, "chop it up and use it for firewood", "I don't know", and "I plant mine" (it was live), I finally took one friend's advice to sneak it into the garbage area in the courtyard in my building. He told me to make sure no one saw me do it. Easier said then done when the object you are carrying is an 11 foot Christmas tree.

So with the help of another friend, I took the tree to the garbage area under the cover of darkness. Luckily we didn't encounter anyone as we maneuvered the tree down 66 steps, but my luck ran out when I tried to put it in the garbage shed. The tree was far too big to go in and blocked the door when we tried to lean it against the nearby wall. In the next location we tried, it blocked the neighbour's clothesline.

Finally, somewhat desperately, we just dumped it in a pile of snow against one wall and took off.

I then spent the next 40 minutes sweeping up all the fallen needles, so the trail couldn't be tracked to my door. I did consider creating a trail to another neighbour's door, but figured since everyone else keeps their tree up until the end of January, it was going to be pretty easy to realize the Canadian was the culprit.

Happily, I noticed that the tree was finally gone this weekend. I'm not sure if the garbage men took it, or someone else chopped it up for wood, but it's no longer in the courtyard.

No comments: