Thursday, January 1, 2009

Gingerbread

Gingerbread is a big deal in our household. As children, we always made gingerbread men both to eat and to hang on the tree. As we got a little older, gingerbread cake became our traditional dessert for the big turkey meals of Christmas and Thanksgiving.

At least one of my writers made a ginger cake for Christmas, so I knew it existed in Poland. I wasn't quite prepared for my mother's gingerbread quest though. It started when she saw gingerbread cookies being used as decorations in the hotel we stayed in in Krynica, and continued through lunch in Nowy Sacz, where gingerbread was decorating a wreath hanging from the ceiling.

Somehow we ended up with two different types of gingerbread cookies, and three gingerbread cakes. But even with all of that gingerbread in the house, I couldn't resist purchasing this gingerbread fish (yes, fish) when I saw it.



Mom declared it her favourite of all the gingerbread items, particularly after she whipped up some cream to go with it.

I have to agree - I've just polished off the tail.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yum....Gingerbread. I love it too.