Sunday, July 1, 2007

Oh Canada!

I've been thinking a lot about Canada and Canada Day this week, in a large part because my brother Matt created a font of iconic Canadian images (aptly named Adanac), which was then published in the National Post on Thursday. You can download your own copy from the 10four design link on this page. I'm pretty proud of my little brother (as many of you will know after receiving multiple emails about the subject).

But also, I've been thinking about what it means to be an expat. It's hard to express what it feels like to be in a country where not many people know much about your home, and where most people assume that I am American.

When I went hiking with 40 people from my office last weekend, most people wanted to know more about Canada. Did I hike in Canada? What were the mountains like in Canada? Does everyone speak French in Canada (this seemed to be the most common question, and they all seemed a little shocked when I explained that not everyone in Canada speaks French, and not many outside of Quebec speak it fluently). When Matt sent me a poster of his font, I took the opportunity to send it to my entire office, encouraging them to learn more about Canadians, and to use their newfound knowledge in conversation with their Canadian colleagues. I can only imagine how they will work John Candy, mullets, the jolly jumper and nanaimo bars into their next business meetings . . .

So it's a little weird to be the sole Canadian in my social circle in Krakow today. I looked online to see if there were any Canada Day celebrations in the city and couldn't find anything. I haven't wanted to seek out other Canadians or other expats since I have been here, but today, I understand a bit more about why communities of immigrants and expats gather together. Some days, you just want to be with people who understand your shorthand and your shared history (and don't just assume that you are an American).

Since I was a grad student in Waterloo, my friends and I have had an annual Canada Day get together. It's been getting smaller over the years, but some of us always manage to get together and do something to celebrate. My friends Shannon and Norm sent me this memento of their Canada Day in Waterloo.



Happy Canada Day to you all!

1 comment:

Virginia and Chip Aikenhead, Sales Representatives said...

Hi Erin,

I have thoroughly enjoyed peeking at your life in Krakow ! Thanks ! I havent checked the blog for awhile now, but it was most timely today to see your comments about your brothers Font in the Post !! I had admired it last week and thought how clever and truly Canadian it was ... Small world.

Take care and enjoy ! I will check in again some time !!

Regards,
Virginia