Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Pilates. In Polish . . .

I joined a gym a few weeks ago, but with flying off to Italy, working 12 hour days, and a whirlwind trip to the Czech Republic, I haven't had a chance to go until today.

It's really hot in Krakow this week (35 degrees today), and I've been feeling a little wiped out from my last few weeks, so I decided to attend the Pilates and Yoga class tonight. I thought it would be easier.

What I didn't factor in was that although I have taken many yoga classes, I have never taken a Pilates class before. And that in Pilates, apparently you spend much of your time lying on your back, or on your stomach with your head face down, contorting your body in unusual (and sometimes painful) positions, and you can't actually watch the instructor.

Which is a bit of a problem when you don't understand the language she is speaking in.

But, it pretty much worked out. I told the instructor before the class started that I didn't speak Polish, and that I would try to follow by watching. She speaks English, but the class is in Polish, so every once in a while she'd catch my eye and sort of gesture to me what I should be doing.

I think it went well enough. I feel muscles that I forgot I had, so something was getting a workout. And the instructor told me after that I was doing everything correctly.

And as a bonus, I could understand when she was counting down how many reps we had left - those Polish lessons are paying off.

I may even brave an aerobics class later this week.

No comments: