Sunday, May 24, 2009

Young Poland

Last Saturday, on my flight back to Toronto, I spent a few hours reading about my favourite period in Polish art: the Young Poland movement. The book was a farewell gift from a friend and provides art and architectural examples of the movement in and around Krakow.

Several of my favourite churches, galleries, and buildings were listed in the guide, and I was thoroughly enjoying reading about Krakow, when I turned the page and saw a picture of this guy:



This gargoyle perches on the building I lived in for the past two years. Imagine my surprise to see him featured in a guide to Krakow!

I knew my building was designated as a heritage building (it was the former power plant for Krakow before it was converted into an architect's office and apartments), but I guess I didn't realize how historically significant it really was.

Yep, I lived in a building with a gargoyle. Not many people in Toronto can say that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to leave a comment as the artist I am writing my thesis on is Wyspianski, who was part of the Young Poland movement. I am also curious of the name of the book you received. I probably have it but I just want to make sure. Although we didn't know each other well, you should know I think of you each time I walk by your building, which is quite often, and I always look up to your windows. So you live on in Krakow in the minds of some of us here. Good luck returning to Toronto.
Your neighbor, Sue

Jenn said...

That's scary. I don't know how you slept at night.