Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The commute

In Toronto, I live(d) 27 kms from my office. Depending on the traffic it takes (took?) me anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or more to get to and from work.

I don't know how far I live from the office in Krakow, but it only takes me 35 minutes to walk to work.

I haven't ever walked to work before - once maybe in Toronto, when Mel Lastman called in the army because of the snow (to my everlasting shame and to the constant amusement of everyone who lives outside of TO), and it was faster to actually trudge through the snow then to wait for the streetcar or subway. Other than that, I have never lived close enough to work to walk.

The new European me plans to walk regularly. However, sensible footwear is a must, as the sidewalks in Krakow are the worst I have ever experienced. The sidewalks aren't cobblestone - instead they are large, square, paving stones. The earth has shifted underneath them, and the sidewalks are rarely flat. In many cases, there are gaping holes between tiles, and people with weak ankles (that is, me) have to beware.

Thankfully I bought my stylish, yet sensible Naots just before I moved. I wear them whenever I have to walk any distance on the sidewalks.

I must admit that the new European me isn't keen on walking in the rain. It was pouring this morning and I quickly decided to take a cab.

Maybe I'll brave the public transit system later this week.

I'm hoping for clear skies tomorrow so I can walk again.

1 comment:

marn said...

Maybe all the walking is why no one is overweight in Krakow.